Chiropractic care is among the most commonly used form of conservative therapies. Not surprisingly, health promotion and prevention has been core to the profession’s work and training. MSK conditions including low back and neck pain remain one of the most common reasons for physician visits, disability and lost time. The importance of prevention is crucial in decreasing the burden of these conditions on the healthcare system and Canadians alike.
Inherently, chiropractors are health promoters and keenly interested in prevention of injuries and conditions. Commonly, chiropractors include public education related to physical activity and lifestyle in patients’ plan of management in an effort to prevent reoccurrence. Also, studies1,2 have demonstrated that receiving periodic maintenance treatment can help prevent reoccurrence of MSK conditions and keep you healthy and active.
How Can Our Experts Help?
These are examples of how chiropractors can help.
Prevention & Maintenance
As MSK experts, chiropractors can provide valuable information on how to prevent injuries and treat back and neck pain, as well as other MSK pain and dysfunctions. If aches and pain are affecting your ability to engage in your activities of daily living and actively participate in life, consider visiting a chiropractor today. Even without symptoms and pain, preventative care may be right for you. Studies have demonstrated that maintenance care can reduce likelihood of reoccurrence and decrease overall care costs.
Canadian chiropractors are trained to provide a thorough assessment and suggest a comprehensive plan of management to meet your goals and needs. As part of the treatment plan, chiropractors can also provide guidance for physical activity, nutritional counselling and recommend injury prevention strategies.
Falls can happen to anyone; however, seniors are more at risk and usually suffer greater consequences as a result of a fall. Seniors who have suffered a fall know too well the impact both physically and psychologically, such as loss of independence and confidence.
Falls remain too common affecting one in every three Canadians over the age of 65 with hip, wrist and pelvic fractures as the most common injuries3,4. Canadian chiropractors can help treat MSK conditions that may contribute to falls but also provide some guidance in terms of falls prevention strategies. Learn more about falls prevention.
1. Wenban, A., Nielsen, M. (2005). Chiropractic maintenance care and quality of life of a patient presenting with chronic low back pain. JMPT. 28(2): 136-142.
2. Rupert, R. (2000). A survey of practice patterns and the health promotion and prevention attitudes of US chiropractors. Maintenance care: part I. J Manipulative Physiol Ther, 23:1-9
3. World Health Organization. (2008). Global Report on Falls Prevention in Older Age. Geneva: World Health Organization.
4. Scott, V., Peck, S. & Kendall, P. (2004). Prevention of Falls and Injuries Among the Elderly: A Special
5. Report from the Office of the Provincial Health Officer. Victoria BC: Provincial Health Office, BC Ministry of Health Services