Degenerative Disc Disease – Low Back & Pelvis
Degenerative disc disease is one of the most common forms of back pain.
Causes: The specific cause of degenerative disc disease is still unknown.
Symptoms: Symptoms can include pain and possibly shooting pain, tingling, numbness and weakness of the leg and foot. The pain, described as an ache, can be low-grade and continuous, but occasionally may be worsened. It can also be aggravated by some movement including bending, twisting and lifting.
Examples: Disc bulge, disc herniation.
How our experts can help: Typically, these patients may be co-managed. However, depending on the findings of the history and patient examination, the chiropractor will recommend an individualized plan of management. The treatment options may include:
- Patient education and reassurance
- Manipulation or mobilization of associated joints
- Soft tissue therapy of surrounding musculature
- Modalities including electrical stimulation, acupuncture, ultrasound and others
- Rehabilitation and exercises
- Ergonomic and lifestyle changes
- Referral and co-management