Back and neck pain affects people of all ages – with studies showing that these are more common between the ages of 30 and 40 and tends to decrease after age 65. To learn more about these conditions and for strategies to help improve the overall health of your patients, visit the guidelines and resources below.
Physical activity, self-management, ergonomics and public health
Promoting physical activity
- Canadian Physical Activity Guidelines and Canadian Sedentary Behaviour Guidelines
- Exercice is Medicine and Exercice is Medicine Canada Professional resources
- Stanford Patient Education Research Center and training for the Chronic Disease Self-Management Program at Stanford.
- Canadian Task Force on Preventive Health Care
- US Preventive Services Task Force
Supporting self-management: helping patients take active roles in their health and wellness
Behaviour Change with Brief Action Planning: from ON Chiropractic magazine, May 2016, Ontario Chiropractic Association, pages 18-27
Centre for Collaboration Motivation and Innovation (CCMI) - education materials, training tools and resources.
Brief Action Planning - Webinar (Connie Davis, CCMI) - structured, stepped-care, self-management support technique grounded in the principles and practice of Motivational Interviewing and behavior change theory and research,
- Brief Action Planning - Guide
- Brief Action Planning - Flow Chart
- Brief Action Planning - White Paper
- Brief Action Planning - Goal Setting Worksheet
Ergonomics and musculoskeletal disorders
- MSD Toolbox - Prevention (Institute for Work and Health)
- Ergonomics and Musculoskeletal Disorders (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention)
- Ergonomic Guidelines for arranging a Computer Workstation - 10 steps for users – Cornell University Ergonomics Lab
- Prevention of MSK Disorders in the Workplace (US dept Labor Occupational Safety and Health)
- Health & Safety Smart Planner - (Institute for Work and Health) - a software tool designed to calculate the costs and benefits of workplace health and safety initiatives.
- Public Health Agency of Canada
- Chiropractic Health Care section of the American Public Health Association (APHA)
- Healthy People 2020
- Fall prevention and injuries (Centre of Excellence on Mobility, Fall Prevention & Injury in Aging)
- World Spine Care is a global charity seeking to improve lives in under-served communities through sustainable, integrated, evidence-based spine care. Find out more about WSC and their commitment to evidence-based care by visiting their website and following them on Facebook and LinkedIn.