Nerve Entrapment – Head & Neck
Neurological conditions can present in many forms, such as a pinched nerve or stemming from the central nervous system or metabolic/endocrine disease. Chiropractors are extensively trained in the assessment and diagnosis of such conditions, and are able to refer to an appropriate healthcare provider when needed or for additional imaging.
Causes: Nerve entrapment (or “pinched nerve”) can occur when pressure is applied to a nerve by a structure or tissue including bone, cartilage, muscles or tendons. Yet, entrapment can also be secondary to other factors such as pregnancy due to the increase in water retention and swelling.
Symptoms: Signs and symptoms can include:
- Sharp, shooting, aching or burning pain
- Numbness or decreased sensation
- Tingling or pins and needles sensations
- Muscle weakness
Examples: Disc bulge, disc herniation, cervical rib, facial nerve entrapment.
How our experts can help: Depending on the findings of the history and patient examination, the chiropractor will recommend an individualized plan of management. The treatment options may include:
- Patient education and reassurance
- Soft tissue therapy
- Modalities including electrical stimulation, acupuncture, ultrasound and others
- Rehabilitation and exercises
- Ergonomic and lifestyle changes
- Referral and co-management if needed